Monday, April 30, 2012

Crime Fiction 11

It’s back to more conventional crime fiction this evening, starting with Barbara Vine, who is in fact Ruth Rendell  writing under a pseudonym. 

Vine’s books are more psychological thrillers than straight out detective mysteries; nevertheless are quite engaging to read.

vine_astasbook vine_darkadapted

vine_houseofstairs

The Miss Silver detective novels of Patricia Wentworth have been compared to Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple novels, in that Miss Silver is another spinster lady sleuth. I must admit I haven’t read Patricia Wentworth for years, so can’t compare the two. You have probably noticed I have not displayed any Agatha Christie novels. This is because I don’t have any in my library, though I have read a few in the past and watched the television adaptations. Anyway, I appear to have only two Miss Silver novels.

wentworth_greymask wentworth_listeningeye

And finally for this post, The Lady Vanishes by Ethel Lina White. The Lady Vanishes is well known as a film by Alfred Hitchcock, who adapted the book to screen.

The paperback edition below was published by Zebra Books in 1987.

white_ladyvanishes

I will be concluding the crime fiction shelf next post, with one of the greats of the genre – the noir thrillers of  Cornell Woolrich.

No comments: