Monday, August 31, 2009

Feminism & Anarchy

Do the two above social philosophies go together? For me they do, as I recall that when I first discovered feminism, I also was a member of TREASON, the Anarchist Club at Melbourne University in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Consequently I collected books on these subjects as below.

Germaine Greer’s The Female Eunuch was for me probably the most influential of the various feminist texts published in the 1970s. It was a book that everyone read at the time, both men and women. I also remember being impressed by Ingrid Bengis’ Combat in the Erogenous Zone.

Femaleeunuch bengis_combat
Then there is The Dialectic of Sex by the wonderfully named Shulamith Firestone.

dialectic of sex

Emma Goldman actually provides the link between Feminism and Anarchism. I did have both volumes of her biography, but Volume One has gone astray.

emma_goldman_life

A couple of other books on Anarchism…

anarchism social_anarchism

Next – more New Age type stuff.

1 comment:

iris said...

Thanks for listing your collection, I'll be sure to check some of these books out.