Friday, January 2, 2009

Madeleine L'Engle & Peter Dickinson - Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy

For some reason or other I do not have the first volumes of either Madeleine L'Engle's Time series or Peter Dickinson's Changes Trilogy. I think this is because when we moved to this house 20+ years ago a box of books went missing in the move. I am gradually discovering what was in that box - a bit late I know, but I always wondered what it contained.

So you get incomplete series in this post.

Madeleine L'Engle is famous for her book A Wrinkle in Time a sort of time travel adventure. The sequels are A Swiftly Tilting Planet and A Wind in the Door. There were two other books, but I don't have them, but have an unrelated book, The Young Unicorns.

l'engle_planet l'engle_windinthedoor


l'engle_unicorns

Peter Dickinson is another excellent children's and young adult book writer. His The Changes trilogy, SF set in a near-future England in which use of machines is equated with witchcraft. I have the second two books in the trilogy, though I'm certain I had Weathermonger at some stage.

dickinson_heartsease dickinson_devilschildren

He has written many books and I have several individual novels such The Dancing Bear, Blue Hawk and Tulku which won the Whitbread Prize and the Carnegie Medal 1979. Below are the covers.

dickinson_bear dickinson_bluehawk

dickinson_tulku

Next - to wind up the children's fantasy section - a miscellaneous selection of old and unusual juveline fiction.

1 comment:

Beth Fehlbaum, Author said...

That's interesting!
Beth Fehlbaum, author
Courage in Patience, a story of hope for those who have endured abuse
http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com
Ch. 1 is online!